If there is a bad odor coming from my refrigerator, freezer or refrigerator - freezer, refer to the suggestions below for step by step instructions.
- Refrigerants are odorless, and refrigerant leaks will cause the product to cease functioning.
Spillage on the sealing strips:
- A spillage may have run under the sealing strip at the bottom of the door or under the sealing strip around the shelf.
- To resolve this issue, remove the glass shelves and the sealing strips, then thoroughly clean the sealing strips inside and out using a suitable antiseptic disinfectant
Food waste in the drainage sump at the back of the unit:
- Any food items which touch the rear wall of the appliance will be frozen to it. When the appliance starts the defrosting cycle, ice melts and runs down into the drain outlet, and may take small pieces of food with it. This food will then be heated in the drainage sump on top of the compressor and start to give off odors.
- To resolve this issue, thoroughly clean the drainage sump.
Strong-smelling food gives off odors to the surroundings:
- Foods such as lemon, onion and smoked products can give off odors, and the taste can then be passed on to other food products in the refrigerator.
- Pack strong-smelling food in air- and odor-tight containers.
- Keep strong-smelling food well away from products such as milk, egg and cheese, which readily absorb odours from other food products.
Eliminate rotten odors using yogurt:
- If the food in the cabinet has started to putrefy, clean the cabinet using yogurt, which is the most effective way to remove putrid odours.
- Wash the cabinet with a moist cloth. Smear on the yogurt, allowing the lactic acid bacteria in it to digest the putrefaction bacteria. Wash the yogurt off after about 12 hours.
Cleaning using baking soda:
- Clean the inside of the appliance and the door cladding using two tablespoons of baking soda dissolved in a litre of hot water.
- Squeeze any excess water from the pad or cloth before cleaning around any controls or electrical parts.
Before you clean the freezer, it may be necessary to defrost it first:
- Please refer to How to defrost your refrigerator or freezer. or further information can be found in your user manual. (If you do not have your user manual, refer to Where can I find the user manual for my appliance?).
Electrolux sells special odor absorbers for refrigerators/freezers. You can find further information on these odor absorbers in our webshop. (You can visit our webshop by clicking on the link below).